A strong password is an excellent first step in keeping your personal information, email, and financial accounts safe.
Here are four tips on choosing passwords:
- Use different passwords for every account.
- Don't create passwords that contain personal information like anniversaries or a pet's name that others could guess.
- Create a passphrase that combines four or more random words and at least 15 characters. Include:
- Upper- and lower-case letters and at least one number.
- Characters like: &, !, and %.
- A group of letters you can remember. For example, you can create a sentence and use the first letter of each word in your password.
- Change your passwords regularly.
- Get Cyber Safe – https://www.getcybersafe.gc.ca/en/secure-your-accounts/passphrases-passwords-and-pins
- Harvard University Information Security and Data Privacy – https://security.harvard.edu/use-strong-passwords
- U.S. News & World Report – https://www.usnews.com/360-reviews/privacy/how-to-create-strong-passwords